Mold in the home can have a negative impact on your health. Mold exposure can cause allergic reactions like sneezing, coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. It can also lead to chronic conditions including allergic sinusitis and asthma. People with mold in their homes may experience symptoms but are unable to pinpoint the source. Here are some common mistakes that cause mold growth in the home.
Hanging Wet Clothes Indoors Can Cause Mold in the Home
Some people prefer to hang their clothes to dry instead of using the clothes dryer. Line-drying can save a lot of money on your electricity bill each month. If you prefer line-drying your clothes, do it outdoors. Wet clothes hanging indoors lead to excess moisture and increased humidity, which creates the perfect environment for mold.
Forgetting to Use the Exhaust Fan While Showering
If your bathroom is not well-ventilated, moisture in the air will build up as you shower. Turn on your exhaust fan to vent moisture outside and prevent mold. If you do not have an exhaust fan installed in your bathroom, open a window or use a dehumidifier.
Overwatering Houseplants Contributes to Mold in the Home
Overwatering houseplants causes mold to grow in their soil. Research the amount of water that your houseplants need and stop overwatering them. Mold spores can spread through the air and have negative health consequences.
Neglecting Spills Can Cause Mold
Clean up any spills right away. When spills are ignored, they seep into the carpet and floorboards. Spills lead to mold in the home.
Mold in the Home is Caused by High Humidity Levels
When the indoor humidity is too high, it creates an environment conducive to mold growth. The humidity indoors should not be over 60%. If you notice condensation on the walls, windows, and floors, it’s time to address the issue. Purchase a hygrometer to monitor humidity levels and invest in a dehumidifier to reduce humidity in your home.
These are common mistakes that contribute to mold in the home. Take the proper preventative measures to keep your home healthy for you and your family.